Helen Baller Elementary School
Originally built in 1948, the existing Helen Baller Elementary School was replaced with a new 64,000 square foot building. HHPR worked with the Camas School District to provide land use planning and civil engineering services for the new school site. In order to maintain continuous use of the school, the existing building was kept open while the new building was being constructed. Following the demolition of the existing building, a new play area, ball field and parking area were installed. HHPR prepared the conditional use and variance applications. The project included a three-step finish floor to minimize grading, an underground detention system to maximize available play area, and bio-infiltration swales. The bio-infiltration swales also provide stormwater quality treatment as the stormwater moves vertically through the soil profile.